And Stimming With Rainbows of Every Design

Sunday, July 15, 2007

Meme!

I've been meaning to write here more, but haven't gotten around to it recently. Anyway, Ballastexistenz tagged me, so I might as well do this.

The rules:
1. Let others know who tagged you.
2. Players start with 8 random facts about themselves.
3. Those who are tagged should post these rules and their 8 random facts.
4. Players should tag 8 other people and notify them they have been tagged.

1. My main internal (never communicated to anyone else) perseverations consist of creating (and replaying) stories mixing two (or more) fictional universes, formed from my natural ability to quickly detect parallels between things. The scenarios, characters, and universes I'm mixing change over time, but the pattern has stayed the same for about eight years.

2. I only learned to get a sound out of my kaval by sitting in a vibrating respiratory therapy vest that forced me to exhale when relaxed, and moving the kaval against my lips in varying angles until I could get a sound, then unconsciously compiling the patterns so I could utilize them without using the vest.

3. I'm awful at reacting at the right speed for me to do *anything* in most team sports (mostly large ball, many player team sports -- I'm actually great at badminton), but when it comes to snorkelling through very rough water, with sharp rocks surrounding me and waves throwing me from side to side, I can navigate near-effortlessly. I'm not entirely sure what allows me to do this.

4. I trill my tongue enough in real-life, (in the manner in which many trill to call cats) that I have friends who often greet me by trilling.

5. When I was a kid, I would automatically harmonize with the group whenever I sang. That is, I would always sing at a constant interval above or below everyone else. I was never aware I was doing it, and never able to find any references to doing similar online. I had lots of people tell me that it was 'amazing' or 'remarkable,' but it actually stopped me from being allowed to sing much in groups. I still do it now, if I allow myself to sing out, but I have more control than in the past.

6. On many computers, I can tell from the variation in high-pitched tones emitted whether a slow-loading website will or will not eventually load.

7. I get immense joy out of thinking about and visualizing sets and subsets, and subsets of subsets, and the overlap between different subsets. Layered conceptual stuff in general makes me happy.

8. I went through eleven years of my life with a name that was physically painful for me to hear or read (Katy), then discovered synaesthesia and realized that most people's names didn't hurt them. I go by "Kate" now in real life, but that's still slightly painful. The only variation of my full name that isn't unpleasant for me in some way is Katerina, which brings images of a blizzard against a deep, dark blue night sky.

I can't think of any more people who haven't been tagged already, so I tag the first eight people who read this and haven't done the meme already.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home